Okonomiyaki also known as Japanese pancake is a food originally created in Osaka, Japan. It is one of the most popular Japanese food for foreign travelers. It is easy and enjoyable to make but also very tasty.
How to make okonomiyaki
[ What you need ]
- 120g of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 5~8cm yamaimo
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 180ml of dashi
- 1 large cabbage head
- 220g sliced pork
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of tempra scraps
- 1/4 cup of pickled red ginger
- Vegetable oil
[ How to make ]
- Put flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and mix it.
- Peal the skin of yamaimo and smash it and put it in (1)
- Put dashi in (2) and mix it well
- Refrigerate (3) for an hour
- Cut cabbage into small pieces
- Take out (4) from refrigerator and then put eggs, tempura scraps, pickled red ginger and cabbage. Then mix it well.
- Heat the pan and put vegetable oil.
- Put the dough on the pan and try to make the round shape
- Put sliced pork on (8) and bake it for few minutes
- Once one side is cooked, flip it and bake the other side.
- Put source, mayo, katsuobushi, green onions and dried seaweed powder on okonomiyaki.
Watch a video on youtube!
If you are not a big fan of cooking or want to try traditional okonomiyaki at a restaurant, don’t worry. There are tons of places you can try okonomiyaki in Tokyo. If you are not sure which okonomiyaki restaurant to choose, let us help you explore. Our Asakusa tour will take you to a delicious okonomiyaki restaurant. You can also enjoy the traditional Japan life in Asakusa with us.